Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter and Softball

Nico and I went down to Wakulla last night for a softball game.  It was the first time he had gotten to see his Shay and his softball girls in a while.  He was pretty precious.  In hindsight, I probably ought to be a little more aware of the situation... foul tip offs are not uncommon in softball... it would probably help if I were paying attention.  I wouldnt want either of us to get hit with a softball. 

A bunch of the soccer girls play softball... specifically, there are three of the senior girls on the softball team, along with a junior and a sophomore... coincidentally some of our best athletes are softball players.  It's strange- I never thought I would like watching softball... but it's actually a beautiful sport. 


A couple of weeks ago, I was talking with Dave's boss about his little girl, who is brilliant... talkative, great vocabulary.  We were talking about the ways that you can help your child develop, where he recomended reading every day.  He suggested using the downtime for reading.  Really, we spend so much of our time waiting for stuff, it could be productive.  So I have started keeping a diaper bag stocked with books (and a couple of toys).  Since Nico wasn't being engaged just by watching the softball game, I whipped out a book.  He is starting to figure out the that books are good for more than just eating... they can be entertaining.  And he is even starting to figure out that you sit up and look at books, and you know... turn the pages. 

I like family tradition.  So I think our Easter Family Tradition will include a new book for Nico on Easter.  You can never have too many books, I think.  I would like to get him a copy of the Velveteen Rabit along with a rabbit stuffed animal- I think that would be a good Easter gift.  Isn't there a song about the rabbit, "Scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head?"  In any case, Dave thinks that Nico might be too young for it, but I think it would be fun to go to the Egg Hunt in Myers Park on Sunday.  Of course, Nico won't understand what is going on, but I'd at least like to go and see. 

So today marks my first school-parent thing.  I took in big plastic eggs for the babies in the baby room.  The teachers are going to put puffs in the big eggs and let babies play with the eggs... which is pretty cool.  They aren't exactly the most mobile group (barring one little boy who literally darted right by me out of the room last week.  I was sitting on the floor with Nico when this little boy sprint/crawled past me to get to his Dad.  It was pretty much amazing.)  I also made cupcakes last night and took them in for the teachers.  They weren't A' La Nicole Bain- but they were pretty. 

Tonight we are looking at a house.  As much as I love Indian Head/Myers Park, most of the houses that are for rent are small (1000 square feet).  The house we are looking at is on the other side of the Parkway, a little bit closer to downtown.  On the upside, it's walking distance to Millers and probably closer to my gym.  On the downside: its not in Indian Head/Myers Park.  On the upside:  it is a 4/2. With a hot tub (which is perfect if your 40 year old husband has the body of a 70 year old).  Milkawhat?!  On the downside:  It's not in Indian Head/Myers Park. So we will see.

2 comments: