Monday, March 15, 2010

Brussel Sprouts.

We had a pretty good weekend.  We were really excited to get Dave's car back on Saturday when they called us to let us know that it was still making strange noises and that it wouldnt be done until today.  BOOOO!!

On an unrelated matter- until this weekend, I had never had brussell sprouts.  My maternal grandmother was, according to my mom, a terrible cook and had a tendency to overcook food.  One vegetable that is AWFUL if you over cook it is brussel sprouts.  According to Alton Brown, there are ways of cooking them where they won't be completely horrible.  And that the more water and the longer you cook them, the more likely they are to end up with that smell.  I dont know what smell this is... but maybe its like cooked cabbage? 

In any case, I have seen three food network shows featuring brussel sprouts: The  Barefoot Contessa, Alton Brown, and Triple D with Guy Fieri.  Now, the consensus seemed to be, that if bacon and or butter were added to brussel sprouts, that they can be tolerable.  So I gave it a whirl last night.  I got some pancetta and did them like they did in the episode of Triple D.  And the verdict: they were okay.  I dont think I cooked them long enough, because they were pretty hard still (not tender).  Obviously, the pancetta, lemon and butter went a long way to making them edible.  However, I think that whatever nutritional benefit there is to eating brussel sprouts were likely wiped out by the pancetta and butter.  Which leads me to a conclusion:  if butter, bacon, cheese, chocolate or mayo doesn't make a food edible, then you really don't need to be eating it.  Plain and simple.

So Dave and I have been talking about moving out of our Indian Head House.  Since we are in Tallahassee for the next two and half years, we would like to get a bigger place.  We really love Indian Head and Myers Park, but if we want a bigger place, we are likely looking at Myers Park, which tends to be a little more expensive.  I drove by a place yesterday that sounds like a dream... a 4/2.  Milka-what?  A 4/2?  I dont even know what to do with that.  Our room, Nico's room and TWO EXTRA ROOMS?  So technically, Dave and I could each have our own office/craft/trophy/sports room?  WHA-What?  Oh.  And it has a dishwasher! And is twice the size of our place!  There is a minor question about the dogs... so I am not getting my hopes up.  Plus its 1.5 times what we pay now.  So maybe I should go back and strike through all that, so I don't get my hopes up. 

In any case, hope all is well with you guys and that you have a wonderful Monday!!

3 comments:

  1. I was never a fan of brussel sprouts until I tried sauteing them. Now they are a staple veg for me. I don't know if you want to give them another try, but here's what I do: Cut off the base/stem, cut them in half, douse them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and cook them on high heat until they look kind of crispy/burnt. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on the sauteing... see recipe if you want to give it a whirl again...

    http://www.photoblog.com/veganess/2008/11/16/brussels-sprout-variation.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. also try them raw, grated with a little mayo on top of sandwhiches. nice crunch. and if you do cook them, try making a little x cut in the stem end. think i'll try Amanda's way.

    ReplyDelete