Monday, March 14, 2011

Losing and winning...

So we played in a touranment this weekend... the big Florida State Invitational.  It's kind of a big deal- lots of teams there.  We played in a combined U15/U16 bracket.  And proceeded to have our a$$es handed to us.  We lost 5-0, 5-0 on Saturday.  And won 1-0 on Sunday against a team that wasn't all that strong.  We had girls bail on the second day (awesome).  Actually it was kind of annoying.  So that sucked. 

I caught some heat with some of my parents for releasing one of our players to play with ASG.  For those of you who don't know, ASG is the club that Andy Warner when he left TUFC.  He basically took a bunch of players from TUFC with him.  And essentially hobbled the club.  So a town that wasn't big enough to support two clubs now had three (ASG, TUFC, and TOF).  Well, since TOF has basically folded and now just ASG and TUFC remain.  With a lot of bad blood between them.  In any case, our little big gun (LBG) guested with an ASG team over Christmas break (went to the Orange classic)... so when the time came for this tournament, I suggested she play with ASG if she got the chance. 

Some of our parents questioned this... because she is arguably one of the best players in the area- why wouldn't we want to keep her?  My answer?  Because its not about wins or losses... its about what is best for each player.  My point was proven yesterday.  Mark Krikorian (the head coach of FSU) "just happened" by the field where she was playing yesterday.  For ASG.  He may have happened by during our game, I wouldn't know.  But the fact remains, she looks better if she is playing with better players.  She gets more opportunities, more chances in front of goal.  Just the sort of thing you need if you're that player. 

So it sort of made our team artificially weaker than if we had had her.  But it is what it is.   I dont think we lost this weekend because we didnt have her.  I think we lost this weekend because we aren't very good yet.

So that is all... that is what I spent the weekend doing.  The tournament and sleeping.  Nico and I came home from the tourney yesterday and took a nap.  He had fallen asleep five minutes after being in the car, so I got him to sleep on his own for about an hour.  We he woke up, he was a crank, so I cuddled with him a bit longer, during which he fell asleep (for about another hour).  I finally took him into our room and fell asleep with him on the bed.  For another hour.  It was wonderful!!

We woke up and went to get some groceries and some frozen yogurt.  Let me tell you, that boy does not play when it comes time for frozen yogurt!

Trainer Nico will get you patched up and back on the field!!

No comments:

Post a Comment