Monday, February 14, 2011

Weekend Galore!

Me: Hello?

Voice on the phone: Jessi? It's Jen (from Nico's daycare). 

Me (alarmed): Hey.  Is everything okay? (his daycare is in Alumni Village which is in a sketchy part of town.  Not like crack dealers and hookers getting shot in the playground sketchy, just poor people (black and white) loitering about sketchy-like.  Also, usually when they kick Nico out because he is sick, I am pretty surprised by this... so I assume that there was a shooting or a bomb threat or something.  Makes the news that Nico had diarhea three times before noon seem less urgent...)

Jen: Yeah- everything is okay.  Nico's sick. 

Me:  Do you need me to come get him?

Jen: Yeah, he has a fever/just threw up all over himself/has had 8479343 diarheal diapers this morning.   

Me: Yes!  I love sick days!!  AKA, staying home from work days!!

So this is the conversation that is likely going down later today.  Why?  Bcause Nico is sick.  I think.  Coughing and runny nose.  I am probably a bad mom for sending him to school today... but I asked his doctor what I could do about the runny nose and the cough situation.  He was like, "Dude, he goes to daycare.  The only thing you could do is stay at home with him.  Oh, and the best part?  Little homey passed that mess to me.  So where I was thinking about taking a sick day or two this week (I call them mental health days) it looks like I might actually need to take sick days (sadface).  We'll see.  I might be able to walk it off.  But, I got this wicked headache, plus a runny nose and a sore throat.  So we will see. 

I went to Baby Poppy Hite's baby shower this weekend.  I dont think I mentioned it, but I had been working on a simple patchwork quilt for the baby (they dont know the gender yet).  Lauren is due in March- and I have been trying to be better about getting baby gifts to people before the baby goes off to college.  The quilt turned out nice.  The corners aren't all exactly on point, which is a shame (its also really hard to do).  I also did this thing where I ran a seam 1/4 inch around the inside of a couple of blocks- all random like.  Its pretty cool.  I am not going to lie- I think its awesome. Will try to post pictures tonight.  Even better, is that I put Grey's Anatomy on Netflix in the background while I worked, so I got through the first season (and part of the second during most of the sewing process).  While I am starting to understand the appeal to Grey's, I do have to say this: 1).  That the show grossly over estimates the proprotion of extremely good looking medical professionals there are.  2).  Does that much sexual activity happen at hospitals?  Seriously, why don't we all just concentrate on saving lives?  Just an idea.... 3). Granted, I am only a PhD, not an MD... but my initial guess is that it's never a good idea to sleep with your boss.  Just sayin....

In any case, it got me thinking- after my two current sewing projects are over (baby quilt for a coworker and for Margot and Mike's baby) I am starting a quilt for mine and Dave's bed.  It is ridiculous the amount of fabric I have.  Seriously... I have cut two baby quilts 100 blocks each (each block is 4.5 inches by 4.5 inches) and I didn't even come close to making a dent in my stash.  Clearly, I have a problem. 

Julia and Jen came to town for the baby shower... so it was nice seeing them. I even managed to sneak out for dinner with Julia, Lauren, and April (at Ray's Steel City).  I had the Black and Blue Rothlesburger (which except for it's unfortunate name being associated with an accused rapist), is quite delicious. 

Also, Friday night- the camera came!  My camera came!!  It is pretty much off the chain.  I love it so far.  I played with it a little bit this weekend.  I brought it with me to work today- so that I can run by Rickards High and shoot a track meet going down after work.  Its way more camera than I probably deserve.  Not a professional camera, but just about the closest thing one could get to a pro camera without spending multiple thousands of dollars.  I even have multiple lenses and some filters!!  Whoot! Next up:  hunting the perfect camera bag!!  Whoot!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment