Thursday, February 18, 2010

What I would rather do...

So.  My boss is good friends with my department chair at FSU.  So its common knowledge that I am working on my dissertation.  I have consequently got it arranged so that On Fridays, I work half a day so that I can leave early and work on my dissertation.  Sometimes it works out... other times (like last week), I ended up not leaving till 200 because I was in a panel meeting.  But I am hopeful that I can leave tomorrow at noon. 

In one sense its awesome... not a lot of employers would be cool with that.  But I'm OPS, so its not like I am getting paid for it.  I think I will definitely make headway on the old dissertation being able to work on it 3-4 hours on Fridays and 6 hours on Sundays.  Its just that there are lots of other things I would rather do on my Friday afternoon:

-Long lunch at Olive Garden with LH, KS, AS which results in a nap for me.
- Drive down to St. Marks have lunch by the river, which results in a nap for me.
- A massage and a movie, which results in a nap for me. 
- A pedicure and a haircut, which results in a nap for me. 
- A drive by the one of the 2 cupcake stores we have, which would result in a nap for me. 
I think you get the point. 

But I guess that can be motivation right?  If I ever aspire to have Fridays off filled with cupcakes, massages, naps and long lunches, maybe I should get it poppin' with the dissertation.  And if that isn't inspiration enough, how about so I can stop paying tuition?  Which sucks, lets be real. 

Dont know if I had mentioned this or not... I joined GOLD'S Gym.  There is one that is ridiculously close to the house- so its pretty convienent.  I had a pretty good workout there tonight.  One thing I wish that someone had told me about pregnancy is that you can expect to have 0 abdominal muscles when you're done.  And to plan accordingly. 

In any case... seeing the parents and JJ in Ocala this week.  Apparently, one of the top 10 flea markets in the country is in Mt. Dora.  I will attempt to resist the urge to buy fruits and vegetables of unknown variety and origin . 

Have a wonderful weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. I got my thesis done with that Friday afternoon/weekend combo as well! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. on the flipside...you only get Friday afternoons off until your dissertation is done...so unless you are really excited to spend your Friday afternoon sitting at your desk pretending not to be napping...maybe you shouldnt be in such a rush. OH...and PS...did it occur to any of you knuckleheads that I might be interested in a family gathering?

    ReplyDelete