Monday, June 27, 2011

THAT email

Not much new to report around here.  We had a pretty fun weekend.  Nico and I are starting a weekly tradition of driving out to the west side of Tallahassee for sonic slushes and diggers.  Someone is doing a bunch of work on Tennessee, so we get to see some diggers.  Its pretty fun.  Here is Nico on Friday:


Isnt that funny? 

Nico went swimming with Dave on Saturday when I went to campus to write (boooo!!).  Then on Sunday we went over to Margot and Mike's house to see Zoe Claire and have dinner.  It was pretty fun. 

************Disclaimer: below this line is discussion about President Obama, who I voted for in 2008 and an email that I got from his campaign.  You've been warned.*********************************** 

So... in unrelated news.  I supported President Obama when he was a candidate- I think I signed up for his mailing list and liked him on facebook.  I dont think I gave him any money- but none the less I am on his mailing list- much to my family's chagrin.  You know what that sound was?  The sound of my family supporting Romney, Huntsman, T-Pawl, Bachman and Santorum.  But this isn't a story about how much of a blacksheep I am.  This is a story about how I got an email from the President last week. 

Yeah.  Scanning the email I picked up words like, "president", "invite", "dinner." 

You know that half a second after you've opened up a spam email saying that a long lost relative in Nigeria left you 19 million dollars and all the sender needs is your bank account?  You know, that moment before you realize that you didnt actually win 19 million dollars, when you have this flash of all the stuff you're going to buy?  The houses, the cars.  The savings accounts for your kid so they never have to work a day in their life?  All the trips you're going to take (finally!!  an expedition to Antartica on a cruise ship!!)  And you already start drafting your letter of resignation, which always goes something like this: "I'm out, bitches!"

And then that little let down when you realize that you didnt actually win 19 million dollars.  It was like that.  My initial thought was, "Of course the President wants to have dinner with me.  I have a lot of great ideas.  In fact, I have an idea to fix the housing crisis, the economy and the homeless problem in one fell swoop.  He probably wants to have dinner with me because I have a PhD.  That's what's up" By the way, whenever lucky things happen to me, I ALWAYS chalk it up to me having a PhD.  Got assigned a new assignment at work: its probably because I have a PhD.  Got a good groupon for cupcakes?  Prolly cause I have a PhD.  Got a 9 out of 10 on my CPR test?  Prolly cause I have a PhD!!

So, after the initial disappointment in realizing that I was special, just like millions of other supporters, I put the email out of my mind, thinking that I would donate later, maybe when I got paid.  Then today I got an email again from the campaign.  Which was good because I needed the reminder.  But it was bad because this one wanted to let me know that Joe Biden invited himself to the dinner.  Which is fine, I guess... except that he is a little bit of a clown.  I mean, I cant think of the last vice president who dropped the F-Bomb on TV.  None the less, I took the email as what it was meant to be, which was a reminder to donate.  So I did. 

But now, I have a tricky problem... the campaign probably thinks that the only reason why I donated was because I found out Biden was going to be there.  So now, if I win, I can pretty much be sure of sitting next to Biden and talking about trains all during dinner (instead of architecting the plan to fix America).  And if I dont win, now I am getting a bunch of emails from Joe Biden now.  Biden!!

Of course, I have a blog post with the words "president", "obama", "biden", "crisis", "economy" and "bomb" in it.  I think I just hit the trifecta: FBI, CIA and Homeland Security- checkin out mai blogz!

No comments:

Post a Comment