Thursday, December 31, 2009

List of TO DO things for 2010.

The thing about Resolutions, is that I think they are supposed to be things that you work on to make yourself a better person-whereas I tend to "resolve" to do things.  Call me a list maker (like my sister).  The thing is, that I think of Resolutions as being things like, "Don't have road rage anymore" and "stop biting my finger nails."  The thing is, that I kind of like the person I am.  I dont see any parts of my personality that need work.  All of you that beg to differ can shut your pie holes.  Kthnkx. 

So rather than resolving to be a better person, I am posting my 10 item list of things to do for 2010.  Try not to be jealous. 

1.  Finish Dissertation.  I think this would make my advisor happy. This would also make me one step closer to being able to say, "That is Dr. Bishop-Royse to you.  I didn't spend 8 years in evil graduate school to be Mrs.  Thank you very much." 

2.  Do awesome at new job.  Given.

3.  Start learning Russian.  Dave and I have read several articles about language and early child development.  Our consensus is that kids who speak languages in the home learn them easily- almost without effort.  Its the reason that children whose parents have nannies and housekeepers who speak other languages acquire those languages so easily.  So we want to speak another language in the house...while Dave is pretty much fluent in French, I dont speak it very well.  So I was thinking we could learn another language together and teach Nico as we go.  I really want Nico to know a *useful* language- one that might get him a job one day.  Chinese would be useful since a quarter of the world's population speaks it.  Russian would be useful because its a gateway to many of the other slavic languages (and well, I'm just going to say it, could you imagine the Beast being a spy?).  I've got love for the romance languages, but for real... they are only useful if you're in South America or certain parts of Europe.  Besides, spanish, french, italian, and portugues wont teach him anything that Latin or Greek wouldn't teach him about roots, etc.

4. Learn Multilevel modeling.

5. Continue decluttering my life. I actually got on a roll just before the holidays. 

6. Run 5 Half Marathons this year.  Run Muddy Buddy.  Run Springtime.  Get my guns back.

7.  Start taking Nico to Baby Yoga.  The yoga place I go to has mom/baby yoga on Saturdays.  Nico says he wants to go as soon as the soccer season is over.  

8. Academic stuff: submit Age paper.  Finish aging paper. Submit. Poster at PAA (Dallas).

9. Read 24 non academic books.  Including:
Soccernomics
Half the Sky
Holidays on Ice
Bruce Springsteen and Philosophy
War of the Worlds
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Between Zeus and the Salmon
The Boy who Harnassed the Wind
A long way gone
The Road


10. Make more stuff for Nico: baby sweaters, leg warmers, animal applique blankets, baby food, toys. etc.

1 comment:

  1. Leg warmers? Like Flashdance? "He's a maniac, maniac..on the floor. And he dances like he's never danced before!"

    ReplyDelete