Wednesday, December 30, 2009

And I was runnin...

Define Irony: Deciding yesterday to start trying to write a blog every day- even if its short only to decide that I didnt have enough time yesterday to write anything.  HA!!

So, what is cooking?  I have a job.  Yeah, I know.  I can't believe it either.  Someone is going to pay me.  To work.  Its at the Agency for Health Care Administration (or AHCA as we like to call it in the biz).  Don't get your panties in a twist- its OPS.  No, they are not turning the whole thing over to me- but I think it will be ideal as I finish my dissertation and try to structure a life post-FSU.  Am currently refraining from adding to the list of stuff I am going to buy with my new income.  Which include:
-frappe machine from Mr. Coffee
-a new blender
-ice skates
-a pony
-a shamwow
-snuggies for the dogs
-a snuggie for Nico (what? babies like to be warm too).
-space bag storage system
-inflatable jungle gym set for the pool we dont have  
 
In fact, I made myself watch "Confessions of a Shopaholic" today, to remind myself that just because I will have a little money doesnt mean I need to get all Prada and Gucci and to remember that I am a grown ass woman with a kid and not to lose my damn mind just I can now pay my car payment and my cell phone payment in the same week. 

Of course, this is all pending the outcome of a background check.  DOH!!  JK. No, but seriously, I should be fine.  Of course, now that I have breathed mention of it, things are probably going to go to hell in a hand cart.  Well, it was nice while it lasted.

So that is the big-big news of late.

The other news is that I went for a run today.  My first since I got pregnant with Nico over a year ago.  While I did do some athletic endeavors last year (won Kissimmee, won IMS, scoring a goal, etc.) they don't compare to running.  The thing is, I never used to be a runner.  Really.  When my sister was doing track my senior year, I would go to track practice and do homework and wait for my best friend KK to come get me and we would go to Taco Bell, until I was recruited by the track coach to do track that didnt require much running (long jump, high jump, and shot put).  I eventually "concentrated" on shot put, but I wouldn't have called that a career (despite PR-ing three times in the district meet). 

I started running a lot in the off-season in college- to rehab after my first knee surgery.  I have never been what you would call "swift" or "fast".  In fact, I have seen concrete set faster than I run.  But that is okay.  I dont do it for the speed.  Most of the reason why I don't run fast is that I am, as a general rule, in a lot of pain when I run- running faster makes it worse.  For real- no joke, it FEELS like there is no cushioning in my left knee anymore.  I can actually feel the bones crunching against each other.  Its excruciating- and has been for while.  True story: I fell asleep during the marathon I ran in Traverse City back in 2006 because I took *2* vicodins during the run.  No joke.  Its worse these days.  Good thing I still have a bottle of Percoset leftover from the delivery of the Beast. But I digress.

So today was 2.4 miles, around Indian Head. In the dark (which, as a general rule, is never a good idea).  But I managed to complete the run without twisting my ankle, falling down or otherwise causing serious damage to myself.  So that was good.  And actually a bit faster than I expected.  Not Baller fast.  But Fast*er*.  So that was good.  I did however, feel like I wanted to throw up for most of the run.  But for me, that is just like old times.  

I have committed to run the Pretty Princess Half Marathon in Orlando later this spring.  Supposedly, everyone who runs wears princess dresses and/or tutus.  Obviously, I will not be doing that (I think I would look ridiculous in a tutu... but I might be persuaded to wear a pink shirt.)  And perhaps a tiara, if I could steal one from my mother).  Theoretically, Julia, Kelly, April (and perhaps Lauren) will be running it as well... and by running, I mean, Julia is going to kick ass because she did a running class, April will kick ass because she's April, Kelly will probably win the thing (that is how she rolls).  Its sort of a team thing (I think).  Which means that April, Kelly, Lauren(?), and Julia will finish, have time to go grab several beers a piece, take showers, take naps, get lunch, do the rides at Disney and make it back in time for me stumble across the finish line, 15 minutes before they stop keeping time in the race.  So I got that going for me.  Try not to be jealous. 

I also committed to run the Muddy Buddy in May with Leslie.  This race is an event where you run with a partner and you switch running and biking at somewhat regular intervals (one rides, one runs, and you switch).  The end is a wade through a mud pit.  Am a little nervous because Leslie is kind of competitive.  Dont know if she is aware of what she is getting into being my partner.  But- there is no backing out now.  She's stuck!!  Sucka!! 

.

4 comments:

  1. I want Jake to do the Muddy Buddy with me in Dallas! And don't worry, I am slow as molasses. I was getting up there until a few car accidents jacked my ankles, toes and back. Woot! And you don;t have to dress up like a princess if you don;t want to. But I am going to wear a flying pig costume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok...so congratulations on the job. SOOO jealous that you are getting a shamwow...i think you have to yell when you use it. SHAMWOW (in all caps)! I might be wrong about that. My recommendation for knee pain while running is to simply stop running. Der. I do like the idea of you in a pink shirt though..i can hold it over your head forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am still considering doing that pretty princess run-thingy if they are still accepting registrations. we can be the slow, new moms together in the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, I'm in it for the mud, not the winning. MUD.

    ReplyDelete