Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Easy Way or the Hard Way?

We're easing back into work and life this week.  Nico's school is closed this week, which while terribly inconvenient wasn't a big deal when I worked for the state.  I'd just say, "Yeah, I am taking family leave this week."  But now, its pretty much a shit show.  I wake up early to be in the office early so that I can leave and meet Dave back at the house so he can head into the office. Kind of annoying, actually.

I gathered up all the coins we had in the house yesterday to take to the bank and put in Nico's savings account.  Dave and I chanced guesses on how much we had (1.5 half quart mason jars).  Where in I proceeded to talk shit about how terrible Dave's guess was.  Nico bet 10.  I bet $18.56.  Dave guessed $56, $50 after the fees.  Turns out that Dave was right on the money... we walked with $56.  I guess that is what I get for opening my big mouth.

Here is a picture of Nico just after his first purchase with his own money: a snickers bar.  He said he'd rather have candy than a smoothie or frozen yogurt.  This is bad, right?


In other news, Nico is saying the funniest things lately.  Like this:
Nico: I love you so much!
Me: I love you too, Nico.  You're my favorite!
Nico: But not when I am being a beast, right?

(which is actually kind of sad, because he needs to know I always love him, even when he is being a beast.)

Another funny thing happened yesterday when I was getting some shoes on him so we could go to the gym.  He wasnt letting put his shoes on... he was flipping around  on the bed and I finally laid on him and forced the shoes on.  I think he thinks its a game.  This is my fault, because I treat it like it is a game... he tries to resist and I always get the clothes on him.  He thinks its funny.  But yesterday when I was laying on him and putting the shoes on, he said, "Don't put the muscle on me, Mom!"  Which is funny.

There are some things that have gotten to be battle royales in our house.  Like brushing teeth and washing one's face.  Seriously?  Where does that come from?  To be fair, I sort of get it.  Someone grabs you by the top of your head and rubs your face hard to get the dirt off.  Usually with a funky smelling washcloth.  And you can't breath.  So I have started doing, "The Easy Way or the Hard Way"?

The Easy Way is Nico sets nicely on my lap while I gently wash his face.  He holds still and doesn't fight me.  He offers his face nicely.  And I gently, with the corner of the wash cloth get the dirt off his face.  Being very gentle, rubbing just hard enough to get the dirt off his face.

The Hard Way is Nico doesnt sit nicely and I have to wrestle him into a good position to wash his face.  It usually involves me holding him down and rubbing his face hard.  And not carefully.  He fights me on it, doesn't like it (naturally) and tries to get away.  Since he is fighting me on it, it usually takes longer.

He is starting to "get it":  The Easy Way is much preferable to the Hard Way.  I just hope that he can remember that as a teenager.  The Easy Way: He comes home by curfew.  The Hard Way: I show up at his friend's house in pajamas and crazy hair yelling for him to get in the car.

You likes?

No comments:

Post a Comment