Tuesday, January 10, 2012

EPIC FAIL

So, I owe you a blog post explaining about the EPIC fail that was potty training.

Nicole sent me an e-book that she used to teach potty training to Max and Emme.  The book swore that any child could be potty trained at the age of 22 months.  Well, Nico is older than 22 months.  So I figured I had this in the bag.

No.  That would be a no.

I knew 10 minutes after we put underwear on Nico that this wasn't going to go well... Fifteen minutes into potty training  and we were on the third pair of underwear. 

"What were you doing wrong, Jessi?"  Answer: I have NO FREAKING CLUE.

One of the main components of this method of potty training is that you tell them, "Nico, remember to tell me when you have to go potty, okay?"  "Nico, remember when you have to go potty, you gotta tell me, so we can go and you can get a toy car."  He peed twice while I was sitting right next to him.  I grabbed him and ran him into the bathroom so that he could finish on the potty... but he didn't want to.  And I dont want him to end up with any weird bathroom complexes, so I didnt want to force the issue.

So, I pressed on.  But the straw that ended it all was after nap.  He woke up from nap having peed, which is was expected.  I took him into the bathroom to get him cleaned up.  I asked him if he had to go potty and he said no.  I suggested, he, let's try sitting on the potty anyways, just in case.  He was adamant that he didn't have to.  This seemed reasonable given that he just peed during nap.  So he's cleaned up and we are hanging out in the bathroom.  I am sitting on the edge of the tub and I am telling Nico that when he goes pee on the potty, he will get a car.  Blah, blah, blah.  Guess who pees?  REALLY?  SERIOUSLY?

These events put together impressed on me that Nico is not ready to potty train.  Little man needs to grow up a little and stop fighting me on everything before we try this again.

What is really funny about the whole thing is that he "gets it".  He knows that he will get a matchbox garbage truck when he goes.  He even offered Dave a car for going on the toilet.  He's just a little stubborn right now.  Hopefully we'll get him potty trained before he goes to highschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment