Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Great week!!

Oh happy day!!  Such a great week, thus far!!

It started last week when I graduated.  And just a shade under a decade, alright... yeah... it was pretty cool.  I was sort of nonplussed about the whole thing.  To me, the real accomplishment was defending- back in October.  Plus I am a sociologist, so there is the whole social construction of ceremony thing.  I didn't really "get it" until I was walking into the Civic Center, passed 1800 other graduates... it was pretty cool. 


Here I am with my Yoda/dissertation advisor/mentor, Ike.  This was before the ceremony.  I dont know how many of you know (or better yet care), but for PhDs, they call you onto stage and your advisor puts the hood on you (its the blue thing he is wearing around his neck).  It hangs down your back and is symbolic of the university and discipline where you recieved your PhD. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get to keep my hood or gown.  Apparently I only rented them for the ceremony (which is kind of BS, I think).  In the event that I end up as faculty at a university, I will have to probably order the get up, so that I can walk at graduation. 

One sort of surprising thing, was that my Dad came to my graduation.  Surprising because he was sort of surprised too.  He came up to Wakulla to go hunting with a buddy.  When he realized that he was so close to Tallahassee, he realized that he could come to graduation... which was pretty cool.  Definitely out of the blue, but nice.  Mom and JJ watched the graduation webcast (and drank wine!!)

We cleaned the house this weekend.  My mom was due to come up to deliver Christmas gifts, plus help with Childcare this week (Nico is out of daycare till Jan 4).  So far we've had a pretty good time cooking and doing crafts in the evenings.  She and Nico have been having a blast during the day.  Nico isn't being rotten the whole time, although yesterday he was on a tear when I got home.  For some reason, he seemed intent on being destructive, for the sake of being destructive.  Usually he happens to destroy on accident, like he tears up something because he is interested in it... yesterday he was just tearing stuff off of shelves and tables and just throwing it on the floor just because.  ROTTEN.   

Our two games got canceled this week, on account of other teams not wanting to get their asses handed to themselves in the cold.  Which is kind of a bummer- since we were looking forward to the wins (is that cocky to say?)  Also, a WHS student commited suicide over the weekend, so a bunch of the soccer girls are taking it kind of hard (I guess they all knew her).  It would have been nice to have the distraction of games, to help get their minds off all that. 

Since we aren't practicing, Mom and I are going to go to Joanns with Nico, plus get some frozen yogurt and maybe some cupcakes today (yeah, how do you like me now?).   I am looking forward to tying up some loose ends with shopping this weekend- looking forward to spending time in the line at the post office next week.  Woo hoo!!

All for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment