Thursday, October 14, 2010

Survival Mode

So, Nico's new thing is putting on clothes.  He sometimes will find clothing and try to "put it on" by holding it on top of his head.  This usually ends with him throwing it on the floor.  He is getting even more helpful- he mostly listens now when I ask him to put something away... like today he helped me pack my bag for the gym by putting my shoes in for me... he really is very adorable. 

Other than that, things are going okay, I guess.  I am definitely getting my ass kicked by life right now.  For some reason this season has just felt much harder than previous seasons.  Like, usually I dont shift into survival mode until much later  (Late November), but I already feel like it.  Survival mode, BTW is basically where I start to loathe any part of my "free" time being taken up by ANYTHING.  For example, we have to go today at lunch to take delivery of our life insurance policy.  With our guy, this means having lunch for an hour and talking about our financial future, etc.  I would rather he just give us a big envelope with instructions that say, "Here is a phone number, if you one of you dies, the other one should call it.  Have your account number on hand."  But, instead, we have to do this thing and I don't get to work out today.  Which, I guess isn't that big of a deal- but I really count on having lunch to do that. 

Speaking of which, I am not sure what it was that Dave bought at the grocery this weekend, but it just seems like we dont have any food in the house.  I am sure we do... it just doesn't seem like we do.  This is actually kind of a big deal because I try to feed Nico and my own self at the soccer field.  Because by the time we get back to the house after practice, he is pretty cranktastic (if he isnt asleep) and really just needs some sleeps.  Maybe we just dont have any food that I want to eat... Who knows?  All I do know is that I bordered dangerously close today to saying, "F- packing snacks, Imma pack 5 bucks in quarters and get my snacks from the vending machine."  Apparently this does not constitute good nutrition.  Who knew? 

Then on top of all this, we named teams this week. This is the first time that we've ever had to cut anyone... which I guess is good... good that we have enough to cut players... bad that this is the first year.  Bad that I made 5 little freshmen cry at practice last night.  I wanted to tell them personally, so they don't go up to the soccer board have their little hearts broken and have to walk away from the board crying acting like everything is okay and that they didnt really want to play soccer anyways.  While I tried to be as gentle and as nice about it, but its never easy.  Frankly, I don't know what its like, to be cut from a team.  I tried to be as gentle with them as possible, but I don't really know if that helps. 

On the upside, we're going to be pretty good this year, I think.  The Harris kids are on the team... for those of you who dont know...the younger Harris kid is the next big thing to come out of the County.  Seriously... she was leading goalscorer in the county at least two years in a row.  When Maclay, JP2 and Florida High have been able to have their best 6th and 7th graders on Varsity, we've lamented how it wasnt fair becuase MH needed to be on with us, as a 6th grader.  She and her older sister are going to set it on fire round here.  Aside from MH, we didnt have a lot of freshmen coming in who overwhelmed us from the get go.  We have a lot of kids who've played soccer before... many spent the summer playing with TOF... so its nice in the sense that we aren't starting from square 1.  I think we might just be okay...

Oh, and another thing- the beautiful but scary jack-o-lattern I carved this weekend? TOTAL.ROTTEN.MESS.  Already.  Yeah... like, rotten pumpking juice leaking on the floor.  So we had to throw it away... doesnt that suck?  On the upside, I will be stealing Nicoles idea by getting a new pumpkin and letting Nico paint it, then draw a face on.  Oh, and Guess what?  Dave isnt the boss of me this time at the pumpkin patch!!  We're going to get two pumpkins... one for Nico and one for Mama.  How do you like me now? 

And I never learned to read!! (WAH-WAH!)

No comments:

Post a Comment