Thursday, September 23, 2010

stuffz

Happy Thursday to you all!!  Hope it is a good one. 

Not much new to report.  With practice starting last week, things have been crazy.  With practice starting that means that we leave Wakulla at 8-830 and are home between 9-930.  Seems like it was so much easier last year... I'd get to practice and nurse Nico and he would nurse after practice we'd get in the car, come home and he'd go to bed... now its just crazy the amount of orchestration that goes into practice.  Making sure I have lots of food to feed myself and Nico, so I dont get forced into making bad life choices with a stop at the new BK in C-Ville... and so that Nico doesnt really have to eat-eat when we get home... because usually he needs a bath. 

Plus, there are workout bags and soccer bags, plus soccer gear (balls, pumps, pinnies, etc.)  Thankfully, my desire to help our girls become mature responsible people by making them responsible for this stuff works out... sometimes they will take a bag of balls, the pinnies, etc.  (Actually I think that they take the pinnies because they know that they may not get washed if they come home with us -sadface).  It's pretty crazy. 

Last night, Nico did something that was so absolutely adorable, it almost broke my heart.  So... despite the advice of others, who said that we were setting us up for some throwdowns around this age, we have from day one rocked Nico to sleep.  And because that usually meant sometimes dozing off in the act, Nico is mostly asleep by the time we put him into the crib.  This is bad, according to all the baby lit... because it doesnt teach them to go into the crib on their own.  It can sometimes be annoying, but I have found that now I am working and sometimes dont see him all day (like yesterday), it can be kind of nice. 

Except, that he has gotten to be rather squirrely at night... fusses a lot.  Cant get comfortable.  Tosses and arches his back and is generally kind of annoying.  But he is rubbing his eyes and his face, yawning.  So you know he has to sleep.  In any case, it has been a little bit of a challenge.

So last night, I get home late (he was with the sitter) and he is ready for bed.  I go to start rocking him to sleep and he starts the routine again.  I put him in the crib and try to think for a few minutes how I want this to go.  He gets up and goes to look out the window...babbling.  I kneeled next to the crib so that the top of the rail is about chest high.  He comes over to me, puts his head on my chest, gives me a hug and lays himself down in the crib.  He was pretty still.  I put a blanket over him, and he kicked a foot for a few minutes while I patted his back.  Then he was asleep.  It brought tears to my eyes... like this kid is ready to grow up already. 

And suddenly I realized that there would be a lot of moments like that... when he doesnt need to be walked to soccer practice anymore, and grabs his gear out to run down to the field "his own self".  When he goes off to school and insists on being dropped off at parent drop off, running off to class like he'd be doing it his whole life. 

It was very cool.

1 comment:

  1. awwww! how sweet is he?

    dont stress about rocking him if that is what you have to do...working mamas have to get our time when we can.

    ReplyDelete