Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Marco scores a run!

One of the really funny things that Nico has started doing is "playing" "sports" in the house.  If we're being honest, he comes by this genetically, as Dave did this and drove his mom crazy.  Nico has taken to doing this game while Dave is watching sports.  Lately, its been baseball and hockey.  He'll basically bounce a ball away from himself and run to catch up with it- usually ending with a catch and a slide into something.  It's pretty funny- but the best part is that he has started narrating.  Now until this weekend, it was something like "Number 88 Patrick Kane slides into the goal and scores a run for the New York Fire."  This is hilarious because the Fire (a soccer team) play out of Chicago, and you score runs in baseball, not hockey, which is the sport that 88 Patrick Kane plays.  In Chicago.

This weekend, Nico started narrating himself doing these things, but calling himself Marco.  I have no idea why Marco.  

Friday night, Davn and I went to see Captain Phillips (the new Tom Hanks movie).  We stopped into a Moerer pub on the way home for some late dinner, which was okay.  Saturday morning, Nico had swimming lessons.  His teacher made a special point of telling me that he is ready to move up to the next class... but unfortunately,  his little buddy probably isn't.

Here is a video of Nico jumping in:


After swimming lessons, we headed over to Target, which included a spin through the toy section for items that Nico wants to add to his Christmas  list (we were mostly killing time, allowing Dad to get a workout in before we headed home).  Nico and I have done these little excursions maybe 4 times and his meltdowns after are getting progressively less and less shitty.  I know the natural question to ask is, why do it at all?  But I want him to start understanding the role of patience and waiting for things.  We've also instituted a chore chart and allowance, but it's one of those things that require time and patience and sometimes the parental units just don't have it in them. 

After we took a nap on Saturday, I ran a couple of errands, that included a stop to check out a consignment shop somewhat nearby.  It's one of the great things about living in a sizeable city... This wasn't even the closest one to us.  It was about 2 miles away- which in Tallahassee would seem much further away.  Anyhoo... Nico is growing like a weed.  He's slimmed out a bit, so while the 3T britches still fit him in the waist, they are way too short.  Plus, we dont really have the right kinds of clothing for layering.  This consignment shop is pretty amazing.  Super cheap clothes.  I found a 3T Gap kids sweater for $3 and 4 pair of pants for $2 each and 4 waffle knit shirts for Nico for $2 each. I also got a couple of sweaters for me and a couple of scarves too (including a cashmere one for $5).  The cool thing is that if I had wanted to wait until Columbus Day,  could have gotten everything for half price.  But I wasnt trying to deal with that madness.  After I ran to Joanns and got some stuff to organize the house.  With colder weather coming up, I suspect we are going to want to stay closer to home in the next couple of months, so we will have more time to organize and such.  

Sunday, I had brunch with Julia and Jake out in Oak Park.  They were flying out of OHare and I wanted to find a place that was relatively easy to get from to OHare.  After, I made a run to Fresh Farms super market.  This place is in Niles- we pass it going to and from the YMCA.  Dave has been in a few times and exclaimed about their seafood counter and beer selection.  So I thought I would give it a go.  

The place is pretty much heaven.  There is a huge produce section.  You know the place is has a huge produce selection when I dont know a quarter of the items that are there.  And.  The best part?  Russian candy section!!
  For serious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment