Monday, November 22, 2010

Booyah!!

Great weekend around here. 

It started with dinner on Friday night.  Nico and I went down to the county for a light and easy practice on Friday.  On our way back, I passed by several places I wanted to stop for dinner and bring dinner home to Dave, but I just couldn't pull the trigger.  So, we ended up going to Famous Daves, which was delicious.  After we put Nico to bed, I finished up a hat that I had been working on, for "my own self."  It's stupid looking.  I can't decide what is so stupid about it, except that I was convinced I needed to use the largest loom  for it, since it is the only one that would fit on my head without squishing it.  And I have a sort of Elaine Benitz thing going with my head... I am not saying its freakishly big, but birds have flown into it before.  I was using this super bulky red yarn and put a brim on it.  Now it just looks more like an over sized yamakah than anything else.  FAIL. 

Saturday we played at home against Suwannee.  Suwannee is where we were 5 years ago... one or two decent players, but really not good enough to run with the big dogs.  So our best way to play with them was to play a very agressive/physical style of ball.  We were scrappy and teams hated playing us. 

All of the girls that could be considered our "enforcers" no longer play in our program- they've graduated.  So guess what I have now?  A bunch of little girls- who, while we can play the game now, now can't step when we get out muscled.  Want to take us out of our game?  Muscle us around.  So the game got chippy pretty quick, culminating in a the first yellow card of the season, for our little big gun.  To be fair, she is one of the best players on the field, and many teams we've played against haven't had an answer for her.  The other team basically just fouled the crap out of her.  Seriously, the only way most teams can play with her is to put a body on her... and even then, a lot of teams can't hang because she is TOO FAST.  It happened against Leon, it happened on Saturday against Suwannee.  She was on the verge of tears when she came off the field (a requirement for kids that get yellow cards).  I got her to calm down after a minute.  And told her as she went back on the field that there was no better revenge than to put one in the net.  Four minutes later, she beat the keeper and was all smiles: 

There is a great gesture that comes from professional wrestling that, frankly, isn't very nice.  It is a gesture that literally means "Suck it" but one uses it figuratively for when you own someone, usually in a sporting event.  If there was ever a time when such a gesture would be appropriate for a high school girls sports, this would have been it.  Really, she was quite composed about the whole thing- I probably would have walked by the girl that dished the fouls and said, "How do you like me now, #15?  There's a lot more where that came from!!"  Which is probably why I play in goal.... in any case, I think I actually said, "Boooyah, bitches!!"

We ended up winning 3-2 and now our record is 5-2-1, which is very cool.  We go to Franklin county on Tuesday.  Hopefully we will be 6-2-1 after. 

Sunday was pretty chill... I went to school and did some school stuff.  When I got home Dave went to play soccer and I went to the store with Nico.  We got our frozen yogurt after (where in he proceeded to make a huge mess). 

Hope you all have a great week.

1 comment: