Tuesday, July 7, 2015

July 4th

We had a pretty fun July 4th.  Dave was covering a Cubs game and Nico and I had been invited to a party at my friend Kevin's house, on the south side.  Kevin is from Chicago and grew up on the south side of Chicago (a few minutes from the Indiana state line).  His family's thing is July 4th.

So I put together my mom's key lime pie (that I was totally afraid would be too sour- based on my tasting of the filling).  But it mellowed out with some time in the fridge. Also, beer helps.

We got down there and they had a lamb on a spit roasting over a fire.  Have you ever had roasted lamb on a spit?  It is amazing.  In fact, I gotta figure out a way to make that part of my life more regularly.  I met a lot of Kevin's friends that he grew up with, and got to hang out with his girlfriend Jen, who I adore.  There people are a lot like mine: fun-loving and trash-talking.

Nico had a group of kids to run around with.  Soon after, he was leading this little rabble around, attacking grownups and playing Volleyball.  It was so much fun.  So much so that I didn't get a pic of my own kid.  Oh, well.  But this pie doe.
Then, on Sunday, we watched the Womens World Cup final.  Which was awesome.

An interesting development has been in the way Nico announces his sports games.  He often uses women's players names... so he might be playing by himself narrating, "Nico squares it off to Henderson.  Henderson sends it on to Rapinoe, who has a shot, but it is deflected by Neymar.  Morgan with the cross and Wambach with the goal!!!!"  Which is pretty cool.  

Also, this weekend, he watched the entire USA v. France Group G game from the London 2012 Olympics.  During it, he said to me, "This game doesn't have the current coach coaching."  And when I asked who was coaching he said, "Pia."  As in Pia Sundhage.  And he is, apparently, on a first name basis with her. It was pretty funny.  

No comments:

Post a Comment