Wednesday, April 3, 2013

In good working order...

So I am officially a short-timer at FSU.  Less than two weeks.  When I started thinking about transitioning to DePaul, I was a bit cavalier with Dave and Nico.  I just figured that we would figure out a way to make it work.  The problem is... the legislature.  Seriously.  When I got the job at DePaul, we were in the drop dead period of just before the session, so Dave couldnt leave.  But DePaul wanted me there yesterday.  So, I just figured I would figure out a way to make it happen.  Dave and I have been apart before.  I went to Malawi.  I went to DC for an internship when I was 7 months pregnant.  Whatever.  I just didnt think it would be that hard on Nico.

Turns out- it is.  

The thing is, it might not be, if the session wasn't happening.  If Dave could sort of coast at work and go into overdrive at home, then it might be doable.  Its just really hard to be in overdrive at work and at home.  What that means is Nico gets pretty unhappy when I am gone.  And I am caught between that rock and the hard place... knowing that in the long run, the kinds of things Nico will be exposed to in Chicago will be far outweigh the shittiness of being away from me for 1.5 months.  But then I have to ask myself, "there is no harm in asking right?"

So long story short, I asked my new boss at DePaul if I could push my physical start date back by about 10 days.  He said yes, and that is great.  But I can't help but feel like I am on the verge of being fired.  From a job I just got.  Wouldn't that be unfortunate?  It gets us closer to when Dave's mom can come up... which is great... Nico likes hanging out with her.  But there is nothing like the feeling of about to be fired from a job you just got.  

Does this mean that I am going to stay on for another 10 days at the College of Medicine.  No.  I will not be doing that.  I hope to use the extra days to get packing.  And help out as much as I can with DePaul stuff here in Tallahassee.  Which is great, because I wasn't really sure how I would get stuff packed up on Friday April 12 and leave on Saturday April 13.  But I just assumed it would happen.   

Other than that... going through the list of stuff that has to be done before we can move. Yesterday was doing something about our bikes.  We have three.  That we never ride.  One has been sitting out in the yard for a year, the other two in the the shed.  So I asked a friend to get them in good shape for us.  Nico's new favorite thing is checking to make sure something is "in good working order."  So that is what we did after school yesterday.  He kept saying, "Mom, I am getting this bike in good working order."

It's pretty great.  Dave made it home last night before we were done with dinner, which means he got to read to Nico before shower time.

No comments:

Post a Comment