Monday, June 18, 2012

Getting on with it...

So.  Its time.  We are going cold turkey with the diapers.  Finally.  Turns out that SOMEBODY is really stubborn..  And his name rhymes with Rico.  I was talking to Sue at a birthday party last week and she said that another kid in Nico's class, his parents just decided to do it.  Made the break with the underwear and that was that.  The kid was not too much a fan- and for two weeks the kid acted like his underwear was a diaper.  And he still has accidents.  But for the most part, the kid is pretty much potty trained.

So Saturday afternoon, we just decided to do it.  Put Nico in underwear and just get on with it.  No big to-do.  No symbolic throwing the diapers away.  No big conversations about how he is a big boy.  He woke up from nap and I put him in a pair of underwear.  He fought me.  Don't get me wrong, he did not want to wear under wear.  We stayed on top of him and even with me asking him every five minutes he still managed to pee in his underwear (which says to me something about his maturity and emotional development).  So we weren't really successful during the day- meaning he didnt go on potty at all, we didnt think that him wearing underwear to bed would accomplish anything other than him waking up with pee all over him.  Oh, and he has been sleeping in our bed. And I wasnt trying to wake up with pee on me.  Please stop judging.  I know you are.  Zip it!

So we put him in a diaper at night and let him sleep in it.  Then Sunday started over again... with no success. Guess who doesnt like EVEN SITTING on the toilet.  We bribe him to sit there with jelly beans.  And when he goes pee on the potty, he gets a Rescue Bot (a transformer fireman).  Today, I went for a run and when I came back, I grabbed Nico (who was awake) and ran him outside to see the recycling truck come by.  Nico was in his underwear.  It was great.  Even better is that Dave told me that he woke Nico up and sat him on the toilet and he peed!!  WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO! Can you believe it?  What a great day!!  Going to be a big boy peeing on the potty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment