Sunday, September 20, 2009

Practice

We had a pretty good weekend around here.

This week, we started preseason. Our first day was Tuesday night, during which Nico hung out with Rochelle and Rick (parents of one of the girls) for most of the practice, a prelude for the season coming up... where I foresee Nico spending a lot of the cold night games in the safe warmth of the concession stand.

Saturday was the first Saturday practice... a big test for all of us, but namely Nico. Since there are rules governing who can practice when with who, we get around the rules by Dave practicing with the girls, on the field with soccer balls (I can do conditioning with them, but cant have "practice" yet). It was HOT and gross. There is hardly any shade at the highschool practice fields. But I found a sliver of shade constructed by the football shed.

Overall, Nico was pretty good. I worry about making my kid dehydrated. So I did a little research, and when they are this young, you dont really do anything special, except nurse them to combat the lost fluids (when they get older you give them bottles of water). So I walk Nico over to the 4-Runner, thinking I would just tuck us into the backseat, do our business and then voila, magically appear back at practice (even though they are all girls, I can totally see there being some sort of controversy about Coach Bishop whipping out her ta-tas at practice). The thing is, that having a baby along for the ride increases the accoutrement that we have to tote around in the car... on top of the ton of crap that we usually carry, ball bags, cones, med kit, etc. So I am trying to manuever in the backseat of the car, with the car seat and the diaper bag, etc. And I go to lift Nico up to get him situated on my lap and whack his head against the handle just inside the door (up by the ceiling). Felt absolutely AWFUL.

You know, there is a huge difference in the way he cries when he is pissed because he is hungry and his n00b parents cant get it together fast enough... to when he wants to be held... to when he is hurt. Man- it was horrible. A good lesson though. Look up when you are lifting a baby in close quarters.

He was pretty good. I am not even going to qualify that statement. Straightup... he was good. Might just make this work afterall...

In any case, I took this video yesterday of Nico smiling. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't stand it he is so cute in that video. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete