Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Squish

Things have been CRAY.

The soccer season officially starts on Saturday when we go to Taylor County for the Preseason Tournament.  Until Daylight Savings Time, we are practicing at the high school from 530-800.  Which means really long days for Dave and me.  I am trying not to fall off the wagon like I usually do when the season starts (meaning not working out and not eating well).  I have been getting to the gym 3-5 times a week, playing soccer and such, so I want to keep that going forward.  But the days are long.  Last night I came home, drank half a beer and went to sleep.  Nico and I were asleep at 945 last night.

Which explains why he was up at 645 this morning.  A bonus from being gone from him so much is that he is extra snuggly when he wakes up.  Seriously, holding Nico for about 5-10 minutes this morning when he woke up was really nice.  Even cuter was this morning when I was about to leave.  Dave and Nico heard the knuckleboom coming down the street (today is yard waste day).  And Dave ran Nico outside in only his underpants to see the knuckle boom come by.  Pretty much awesome.


This weekend was pretty low key.  We had considered going down to the the Stone Crab festival, but with the next couple of weekends being really busy, we decided to hang out in town.  I went into the office and worked on getting some job applications out (yay University of Evansville!).

Okay, so I know in my heart of hearts that the job market is so completely crazy and arbitrary and out of control.  These are things I know.  I know that I would be really, really, seriously, stupidensously, ridiculously lucky to get any job.  While I don't really think I am competitive for the top jobs in the field (UT Austin, Michigan, Yale, Wisconsin, Harvard), I'm trying to mix up the applications.  I am, frankly, in love with the University of Delaware, so it would pretty much be a dream job.  Dave has no desire to live in Mississippi or Georgia, but both Southern Miss and Southern Georgia got job applications from me.  While I know intellectually, that I should be happy with any job I get, I have a hard time thinking about a world where I don't get interest from the shittiest schools who are getting applications from me.  I don't want to name names, but if places like Wichita State or Midwestern State aren't interested, then I probably really should just hang it up.  Seriously. These are the things I worry about.

In any case, job market update tangent aside, while I was in the office working on Saturday, Dave took Nico to a pumpkin patch to get a pumpkin.

Isn't he squishable?

No comments:

Post a Comment