Thursday, August 26, 2010

Judgey McJudgerson

Where in, I judge... bear with me.

So I was on my usual ADD blog to blog to blog to blog journey today and came across an interesting blog.  To give you a sense of what that journey looked like, it went like this:
"oh, yarn.  nice."
"oooh, how to sew a ruffle of flowers onto a shirt, LIKE."
"how to sew baby pants.  Good."
"this woman has four children.  WOW.  That is a lot of kids.  I am getting my butt kicked by one. Interesting."
"Oh.  Home births.  There are probably pros and cons... someone has to clean up all that mess... but then, not dealing with nurses checking vitals every five minutes would be cool."
"THE PLACENTA WAS WHERE?"

Exactly.  Now, this journey has suggested to me that I am not an actual hippie. At least in the "home-birth, it's all natural, lets let the older child play with the placenta, my husband delivered our 14 pound baby at home while I did cartwheels and baked a pie, and I want 25 more kids" sense.  I think I am, in fact, a neo hippie.  Just as neo-cons and new-marxists and neo-malthusians have taken the ideas that they agree with and made them their own, I think this would apply to neo-hippieness.

So... that is all I have to say about that.  I am a pale shade of hippie... speaking of shades... I did something I rarely do: I made a craft purchase without any plans for said craft.  You see, typically, when it comes to craft supplies, I am not one to just run out and buy craft supplies for the sake of having it.  I typically think, I need this for this and this...." etc.  But I made a purchase on Etsy which did not follow my method.  In fact, I have no idea what the hell I am going to do with this.


Isn't it beautiful?  Its merino.  And its shades of blue, teal, sky, navy, aquamarine.  I am going to try to make it into a scarf, but my guess is that is going to be pretty much useless due to its size.  :(

On other fronts:  I am wrapping up the dissertation.  Yeah, I know, just short of a decade that I have been in school for this thing... why end the party now?  Its time.  I am hoping to get IE a somewhat final-ish versoin this weekend... then maybe it can go to committee and I can defend this sucker.

Oh, and the craziest thing happened today.  So I had three really good friends in college... they were all basketball players (one was also a soccer player).  And I roomed with them for the first year and a half.  I graduated and moved away... I sort of kept in touch with one (ELF) and found another (JS) on facebook.  But I have been looking for the third (RLS) all over.  I wont bore you with the details, but I ended up with her cell phone number and called her today.  We chatted for a few minutes and I got her email address.  She is sitll living in Tennessee... which is funny, because I always thought she was the least likely of the four of us to end up living in Tennessee (always thought she would end up living in Portugal or France).  She is married and has a son with a daughter on the way.  Isn't that awesome?  We're going to try to do lunch on my way home from Knoxville's SDA this year (in October).  Very excited about that!!

The view at Capital Circle and Woodville Highway tonight at dusk:

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found her.

    ps. yarn might not be long enough for a scarf but how bout a ear warmers or a cowel to wear under the new coat you'll have to purchase to go with the cowl. whatever you chose, something up by your face because it looks like it might feel really nice. or see if the spinner/dyer has another skein?!

    ReplyDelete